Sunday, January 17, 2010

Apparently we are not so good at this blogging thing.

So, it's been a few months since we've given an update. It's not even that we don't have stuff going on, I just forget to blog about it. We do have a some rather big things happening as I think all of you know about.

Ryan decided that since the first time home buyer credit was extended that he should really pursue buying a house. We started looking at the end of November and were having a really hard time finding a house in SW Portland that we liked and could afford. We really wanted to be in this area because it is a halfway point between our schools. To give you a point of reference the house on 54th is in SW Portland. In December we did find a house that we really liked AND it was pretty close to the area we wanted, but unfortunately we decided to not put an offer on it due to the budget issues in Oregon right now. To summarize, if Measures 66 and 67 don't pass there is a good chance that Ryan and I could lose our jobs, therefore we didn't want to be jobless with a mortgage. Only a few days after Christmas I saw online that the house had liked, went pending. Ryan was very sad and convinced that we wouldn't find a house he liked as much as that one, but he told me to see what was out there. After some searching I found some houses in Milwaukie (where Ryan's school is) that looked like they had potential. We went out that weekend and drove past them and peeked in windows and decided that we didn't like them. On our way home we saw a for sale sign and decided to follow it. We picked up a flyer and saw that it plenty big enough and reasonably priced and immediately scheduled a showing. After walking through the house we realized we really liked it, a lot. It was older and needed to TLC, but overall it was a great house. After talking to our realtor he said we could put an offer in and do a 45 day closing and that would give us time to find out if we will have jobs or not before closing. If the measures don't pass, then we can walk away with no penalty and if they do pass then we will close on February 15th. So, now we play the waiting game. We are still negotiating what we would like them to fix from the inspection, but really the only thing keeping us from getting excited is the unknown result of the measures. The last day to turn in ballots is the 26th, so we only have about a week left of waiting. It is really hard to get excited about this though, which sucks because this should be an exciting process. It sucks even more knowing that we may lose our jobs or suffer pay cuts due to lost school days. Either way, we are going through the motions and just holding our breath that everything will work out. I believe everything happens for a reason and if this doesn't end how we want it, it's because there's something else planned for us that we don't know yet.

Other than buying a house my computer died. Derek's over the phone diagnosis is that the motherboard went six feet under. Thankfully, Ryan has an old laptop that I can use. After we find out what happens with the house we will look into buying a new computer, but for now the laptop works.

We have also enrolled in an Advanced Reactive Rover class. You may remember that this summer we did a Reactive Rover class with Hank to help him be less reactive to other dogs. The class was great and Hank has made a lot of progress. I saw that they were offering this new class, which is pretty much a continuation of the summer class. This class will focus on actually getting our dogs to great others and learning recognize when they have reached their limits and need to exit the situation. In this class all the dogs have muzzles, so that when we work on sniffing and greeting other dogs we can do it safely. Our first class went really well and like this summer, Hank was the top student. They used him to demonstrate all the activities because he's so awesome. He did really well sniffing the neutral dog and only barked twice at her. I think he has a bit of a crush on her ;) A lot of the other dogs showed avoidance behavior, which means that they pretty much want nothing to do with the other dog and there is no hope for them to have dog friends. We were so pleased to see Hank show interest and demonstrate positive greeting behavior. Next week we are going to be walking next to a neutral dog, which Hank will do great with because we did that this summer and he rocked it.

Ryan and I are also realizing that as grownups it is a lot harder to make new friends! I am developing some friendships at work and will be starting softball again in a few months. I have considered joining a volleyball team, but all the games are played in NE or East Portland in the evenings. I am not sure if I want to make that drive yet, since I already am one day a week for Hanks class. Ryan signed up for a bowling league, but has yet to be placed on a team. He is hoping to hear something soon though. One of my friends at work is going to a house warming party for her friends on the 30th, and it is also an everyone invite everyone they know so we can all make new friends party. Ryan and I plan on both attending that in hopes of meeting new people and having a good time with new people.

Alright, that was a lot of typing. I don't have any pictures to put up because they are all on my broken computer, so look at Alicia's blog for those. I sure do have a cute niece and nephew :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Congrats!!! Cant wait to see the house!!

I agree, its much harder to make friends as an adult...

Yes, you do have a cute neice and nephew! :D