Saturday, January 30, 2010

Life is Good

Well I made the Balsamic Glazed Chicken dish and it was only okay. It was not bad by any means, but it definitely didn't wow me. I don't plan on adding it to our regular rotation, but at least we tried something new. Also, I have realized that Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals take longer than 30 minutes. I think it only takes her 30 minutes because she knows the recipes by heart and doesn't have to keep referencing the cookbook and because she is much better at multitasking than I am. The glazed chicken took close to an hour to cook. I have made some of her recipes that take real close to 30 minutes, which is nice. I just think that I take a lot longer preparing the more complicated ones because I do have to keep looking at the recipe.

Other recent news is that Measures 66 & 67 passed. Although these measures passing has upset many people, Ryan and I are obviously very relieved with the result. With the measures passing we get to keep our jobs and get our house. So, I apologize if you feel that these measures passing is going to cause the world to end, but Ryan and I, it kept our world together.

Onto the house. We will close on the 8th of February, which is just a bit over a week away. Today we went to Home Depot and picked out some paint colors that we liked for the bathrooms and bedrooms. All of the colors are nice neutrals. The color we picked for the majority of the house is a light tan called Water Chestnut. It will cover all three bedrooms, the hallway and eventually the living room. I say eventually the living room because we are planning on knocking out a large portion of a wall in the living room, so it would be silly to paint that wall. We have two colors picked out for the bathrooms and don't know if we will do the Master bath one color and the main bath the other, or if we will do both bathrooms the same. We picked a blue color called Sea Spray, which is very soft and neutral and a green color called Soft Sage, which is a very soft, neutral green. I think we will paint the trim white, but we have also considered replacing the trim as well. I believe it is in good condition, but it's just not all that modern. We also looked at some outside doors because our entry door is hollow and could easily be kicked in. All in all, we are getting really excited to move into our own place and to have a yard for Hank.

And now to revisit a topic in a previous post. Hank turned on the TV again today while we were out. You can once again see the slobbery, nose smears all over the corner of the TV. Ryan refuses to believe that Hank is doing it, but deep down he has to know that's the only way it's happening. Our doggy is so smart. Also, Ryan had to carry Hank home on the last leg of our walk. Hank started limping and walking really slow and then not wanting to walk. We checked his paw and it appeared that he had cut his pad, not a bad one by any means, but one that annoyed him. Usually he wiggles away when you try to pick him up, but he just let Ryan do it this time. Poor guy, at least he is inside on the soft carpet now.

3 comments:

Jane, Tom, and Charlie said...

Well, again congratulations on your bills passing. And... Good Luck on the home purchase! You can have the painting! I hate that part! A LOT!!!
It will be good for Hank to have a home that he can get out and run and play. Watch the foot with the cold weather. I don't know if you remember the Basset Hound we had for a short time in Alaska. She had severe frost bite on her feet and though we did everything the vet said to do to heal her. Everytime it got cold her feet blistered and the problems came back...
Maybe Hank need goulashes! LOLOL

Anonymous said...

Oh it annoys me how everyone seems to think that the world is coming to an end because those measures passed. I really hate politics.

I think this was one of my favorite posts from you... anything that talks about home improvement and Home Depot is fantastic to me! :) We're going to paint the majority of our house in a very light tan color too. Our master bathroom is done in a light blue, and I was thinking about doing our half bath in a light green color, but I think i'm actually going to be a little brave and do a darker, redish rust color. Since its a small room, if I dont like it, it wont be a huge pain to repaint! This week I painted our masterbedroom a blue-toned gray color... its amazing how just some paint can dramatically change a room!

We're going to paint our trim white as well... we've thought about replacing ours too because I hate it, but we dont think we'll get a return on our investment for that, so we'll probably just paint it.

So, it sounds like you and Ryan have a similar taste in colors as Derek and I! :)

Cant WAIT to see the house! When do you move in???

Ryan & Jen said...

Hank has goulashes believe it or not. But this was not weather related considering it's in the upper 40's to low 50's and dry and I could see the little cut. Pretty sure he probably stepped on something sharp. He's fine today though, no limping or anything.