Saturday, May 2, 2009

Holy Monsoon Wolverine!

Ryan and I decided to have ourselves an eventful Saturday, for the most part. We, well more me, have been looking at adoptable dogs since we do plan on getting Hank a playmate come summer and a new house. Although we have agreed that we will not get another dog until summer, we still enjoy going and looking every once in a while. This morning we found a dog named Simon, who is a Treeing Walker Coonhound, and he was cute as a button, so we decided to see him today. After we had performed our morning rituals we headed to East Portland to the Pixie Project to see Simon. Sadly, when we arrived we were told that Simon is actually living with a foster family because he was overly excitable in their doggy daycare environment, so we couldn't meet him that day. The man working there gave us a lot of information about Simon and he definitly would need some more training....and that he bays....a lot. Ryan and I both agree that a noisy dog is no dog for us, and although you could probably train him not to bay, he is a purebreed hound and it's his nature. Thank goodness for our quiet hound dog is all I have to say.

After the disappointment at Pixie Project we headed back to Beaverton to PetSmart, who hosts adoption events every other Saturday. We saw some cute puppies and cute teenager dogs and got licks from them all. None of them gave us the "Hank vibe", as in we didn't fall in love right away. And don't you worry, we don't fall in love with any dog, they have to be cute and have the personality we are looking for. Being just cute doesn't cut it. Once we had our fill of doggy interactions for the day we decided we were hungry and enjoyed some Red Robin. We both really wanted to see the new X-Men Origins and it opened yesterday, so after lunch we went. Let me tell you, it was good. I had heard a lot of bad reviews, but I don't know what they are talking about. It was as good as the others, and it answered questions the other movies never answered. Also, it was all about Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, and we all know I LOVE him. The highlight of the movie was when he was NAKED! Ha ha ha, just kidding, although that was nice. If you have seen the other three movies though, go see this one. It's totally worth the money.

When we got home we thought, hey let's take Hank out for a nice long walk. Well, that was quickly put to a halt. No more than 2 minutes after we got home it started raining and then the hurricane/monsoon hit. I am not kidding, I have NEVER seen it rain and blow as hard as it was. It actually knocked down the 6' wooden fence of the people two houses down. It was insane. Our backyard instantly flooded, our lights kept flickering, but didn't go out, and our internet got knocked out. Oh and there was horrible thunder. It sounded like the sky was going to eat us. That lasted probably 10-15 minutes and then blue skies. So, we played a game of Scrabble and took Hank on the walk we talked about.

Well, that was our day. It was exciting and fun. I can't wait until we get a new puppy!

2 comments:

Jane, Tom, and Charlie said...

You also know your Dad loves Hounds. But the warm bloods like Walkers (I really don't know when they started calling them "Treeing Walker Coonhounds as Black and Tans, Blue ticks, Plotts and Redbones ALL tree coons) . . . well, redbones chase rabbits. Anyway, They are very active dogs and they bay because they want attention, and because like you said they don't really need a reason. We have seen a couple as well we liked but they were little babies.
Your Great Grandpa Gambill in Oklahoma was reknowned for his coon hounds. Blue ticks are a little more gentle, a little more quiet. But, if you want a hound like dog that doesn't bark...
Get a german short hair like I used to have. Or a Malamute/Samoyed cross. . . Very little or no barking.
When we go to the mall... We HAVE to stop at the puppy store! I insist!

Alicia said...

I heard about the hurricane you guys had up there! Its weird, down here, it suddenly got really really windy, but the skies cleared up almost completely, with the exception of RAPIDLY passing clouds that I could watch in the distance until about 3 minutes later they would pass us. We went out back and enjoyed the sun and wind... it almost blew us over a few times though. It was strange, and didnt last very long.